More Mobile Devices than Toothbrushes OR People on Earth
Mobile Devices Outnumber Toothbrushes and Now Humans
More Mobile Phones Than Toothbrushes
Yup, its true. In Fall of 2011 of the 6.8 billion people on planet earth, 5.1 billion owned a cell phone, but only 4.2 billion own a toothbrush.*
Now that’s dirty talk!
Number of Mobile Devices Will Exceed World Population in 2012
In Summer 2012, the Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast Update by Cisco projected that the number of internet-connected mobile devices will exceed the world’s population this year. Think about that for a moment. That doesn’t mean every human on the planet has a mobile device. Rather, it means that those with mobile devices will likely have more than one. In fact, Cisco projects that 25% of mobile device users will have more than one device by 2016.
Smartphones, Tablets, Gaming Consoles and Laptops (interestingly) are among the devices that will out-populate humans on the planet earth.
More interesting Mobile Data:
More tidbits from Cisco’s report on Global Mobile Data Usage:
- Mobile data usage in 2011 was 8x the size of the entire Internet worldwide in 2000.
- Smartphones will exceed 50 percent of mobile data traffic in 2014.
- Mobile network connection speeds will increase 9-fold by 2016.
- Android data use is higher than iPhone use.
- Video traffic via Mobile device exceeded 50 % (over non-mobile devices) for the first time in 2011.
- By 2016, tablets will generate almost as much Mobile traffic as the entire global mobile network will in 2012.
Kinda makes you think doesn’t it?
Now is probably a good time to devise your digital marketing strategy on how you will meet and serve your audiences on Mobile.
* Mobile Marketing Association Asia